Top Ten Reasons Hurricane Season is Like Christmas
(in honor of my Louisiana heritage…these bring back memories)
10. Decorating the house (boarding up windows).
9. Dragging out boxes that haven’t been used since last season (camping gear, flashlights).
8. Last minute shopping in crowded stores.
7. Regular TV shows pre-empted for “specials.”
6. Family coming to stay with you.
5. Family and friends from out-of-state calling.
4. Buying food you don’t normally buy … And in large quantities.
3. Days off from work.
1 And the number one reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas…
At some point you know you’re going to have a tree in your house!
More Ancient Bible Texts Digitalized
If my earlier post about the Codex Sinaiticus was interesting to you, then today’s announcement regarding the Dead Sea Scrolls should light your fire, too. The Israel Antiquities Authority, which apparently owns the rights to the scrolls discovered in caves near the Dead Sea between 1947 and 1956, will digitally photograph and scan the scrolls. The images will be posted on the Internet for anyone to see within the next two years.
Some of the scrolls date back more than 2,000 years. The texts include, among other documents, the oldest written record of the Bible’s Old Testament. I should expect there to be great excitement when these digital images start becoming available to viewers worldwide, instead of only to those selected scholars who have had the opportunity personally to inspect them. Perhaps now the entire text of the Bible can finally be preserved.